Wednesday, May 7, 2014
Mechanical Energy
Last week I did a science experiment with my students about mechanical energy. They had to use the Engineering Design Process to make windmills using the supplies I gave them. Their supplies included one large index card, 4 jumbo size paper clips, a straw, 2 binder clips, string, and tape. I started with showing them a sample I made. Then talked about the goal, which was to design a windmill that will be strong enough to roll the string on the straw and hold binder clips. I told them that when I made mine I was able to hold 9 binder clips. So their goal was to beat my record of 9 clips. They first started with the first step of the design process which is "ask". I told them to write down any questions they may have before beginning. Then they made their plan, designed their model, tested it out, and figured out how to improve their model. The students really enjoyed this experiment and it was a fun way for them to learn about kinetic energy changing to mechanical energy. After completing the experiment I asked the students to go back and look at their questions and see if they can answer them. It was interesting to hear some of their realizations and how much they could improve their design. Some groups needed help with getting started on their design. I noticed that the designs I thought wouldn't work ended up being the strongest designs. The kids were way more creative than I was. My design was very safe and simple. They weren't afraid to cut anything and actually put in a lot of detail to make it look like an actual windmill. In the end the strongest design was able to hold 15 binder clips. They were of course extremely excited to beat my record. :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment